George Marshall was a pleasant, softly spoken Scot who came to Worcester in 1931 as a GP. He originally took up General Practice in Worcester on the Tything, later becoming Consultant Surgeon to the former Worcester Royal Infirmary with the introduction of the National Health Service in 1948. Mr. Marshall continued in General Practice until 1950. He was an enthusiastic collector of old medical and surgical equipment and by his retirement he had accumulated a large and varied collection of several thousand objects. He generously presented his collection to the Postgraduate Education Centre at Ronkswood in Worcester in the 1970s and the collection was moved in 2002 when the Charles Hastings Education Centre was built at the new Worcestershire Royal Hospital site. Parts of the collection are on display at both the George Marshall Medical Museum and the Infirmary Museum.
Since its formal opening in 2003, the George Marshall Medical Museum has acquired many more objects which help to tell the story of the development of medicine and health care in the region. These include a vast array of photographs, ephemera, artefacts, costume, medical textbooks and personal histories in the form of audio recordings. Added together, these objects help both museums to interpret the stories of both staff and patients, and are all available for your own personal research purposes. Click here to find out how to research the museums' collections.