The first Worcester Infirmary opened in Silver Street in 1746, but increasing demand for medical care soon created the need for a larger, purpose-built hospital. In 1765, a plot land was purchased, and architect Anthony Keck was commissioned to design a new infirmary. Keck also designed Old St Martin's Church in Worcester. Building work began almost immediately, with bricks being made at Pitchcroft and local people were encouraged to bring materials and contribute.

 After Worcester's worst floods hit in 1770 the governors and building committee had second thoughts as to their choice of site. However, despite several setbacks, including funds running out and unscrupulous workmen, the new hospital was eventually completed, having cost a little over £6,000. Over half the cost was met by voluntary subscriptions. The new building officially opened to patients in September 1771.

In order to receive access to medical treatment at the Infirmary, an individual had to be recommended by ‘subscribers’ (wealthy local businessmen and landowners). Children under seven years of age were only accepted for major surgical procedures, whilst expectant mothers, patients with contagious diseases, or those with sexually transmitted infections were all denied access. This rule also applied to those suffering from mental illness or who were also considered to be dying (the Infirmary rules emphasised the admission of the curable, where possible).

The Infirmary has an important place in the history of medicine. In 1832, house-surgeon Charles Hastings establish the Provincial Medical and Surgical Association in the Infirmary boardroom. This organisation later became the British Medical Association (BMA). Charles Hastings was knighted in 1850.

In 1932, the hospital was visited by the Prince of Wales, who opened a new wing containing operating theatres, an orthopaedic department as well as a pathology department. It was at this time that the Infirmary was granted royal status and became known as Worcester Royal Infirmary.

The Castle Street Infirmary closed in 2002, after 231 years. The historic buildings were incorporated into the University of Worcester's City Campus, giving the site a new chapter in its long history.

To find out more check out this booklet by the University of Worcester about the history of the Charles Hastings Building.